Physical activity is important for overall good health and the prevention of non-communicable diseases including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer. Regular physical activity has other numerous health benefits including:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Reduction in high blood pressure
- Improvement in bone health and prevention of osteoporosis
- Prevention of certain types of cancer
- Improvement in mental health and energy
The recommended physical activities
- At least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity weekly, or 30 minutes of moderate-vigorous intensity physical activity daily
- Young adults may increase moderate-intensity physical activity to 300 minutes per week for added health benefits
- Suggestions for moderate-intensity activities including quick walking, Jogging, swimming, cycling, rollerblading and dancing.
- Reduce the time spent sitting or laying down. For example, work related immobility like sitting at your desk for long periods of time. Remember to stretch at least every 30 minutes
- Take the stairs, opt for the stairs over the lift for increased movement
- Walk instead of driving, whenever you are able
- Mix up your routine and try and new workout class or get outside with a friend
Community engagement in mass sport like Car free day
First and last Sunday of every month, the city of Kigali conducts Car Free Day. Vehicles are blocked off and all people are encouraged to engage in physical activities with fellow community members from 7am-10am. Physical activities include jogging, walking, cycling, and other aerobics.